|Jakobus Schürz 61872c9804
PairDrop is a sublime alternative to AirDrop that works on all platforms.
Send images, documents or text via peer to peer connection to devices in the same local network/Wi-Fi or to paired devices. As it is web based, it runs on all devices.
You want to quickly send a file from your phone to your laptop?
You want to share photos in original quality with friends that use a mixture of Android and iOS?
You want to share private files peer to peer between Linux systems?
AirDrop is unreliable again?
Send it with PairDrop!
Developed based on Snapdrop
Differences to Snapdrop
Device Pairing / Internet Transfer
- Pair devices via 6-digit code or QR-Code
- Pair devices outside your local network or in complex network environment (public Wi-Fi, company network, Apple Private Relay, VPN etc.).
- Connect to devices on your mobile hotspot.
- Paired devices will always find each other via shared secrets even after reopening the browser or the Progressive Web App
- You will always discover devices on your local network. Paired devices are shown additionally.
- Paired devices outside your local network that are behind a NAT are connected automatically via the PairDrop TURN server.
- Files are transferred only after a request is accepted first. On transfer completion files are downloaded automatically if possible.
- Multiple files are downloaded as a ZIP file
- On iOS and Android, in addition to downloading, files can be shared or saved to the gallery via the Share menu.
- Multiple files are transferred at once with an overall progress indicator
Send Files or Text Directly From Share Menu, Context Menu or CLI
- Send files directly from context menu on Windows
- Send directly from share menu on iOS
- Send directly from share menu on Android
- Send directly via command-line interface
- Change your display name permanently to easily differentiate your devices
- Paste files/text and choose the recipient afterwords
- Prevent devices from sleeping on file transfer
- Warn user before PairDrop is closed on file transfer
- Open PairDrop on multiple tabs simultaneously (Thanks @willstott101)
- Video and Audio preview (Thanks @victorwads)
- Switch theme back to auto/system after darkmode or lightmode is enabled
- Node-only implementation (Thanks @Bellisario)
- Automatic restart on error (Thanks @KaKi87)
- Lots of stability fixes (Thanks @MWY001 @skiby7 and @willstott101)
- To host PairDrop on your local network (e.g. on Raspberry Pi): All peers connected with private IPs are discoverable by each other
- When hosting PairDrop yourself you can set your own STUN/TURN servers
PairDrop is built with the following awesome technologies:
- Vanilla HTML5 / ES6 / CSS3 frontend
- WebRTC / WebSockets
- NodeJS backend
- Progressive Web App
- IndexedDB API
- cyrb53 super fast hash function
Have any questions? Read our FAQ.
You can host your own instance with Docker.
Support the Community
PairDrop is free and always will be. Still, we have to pay for the domain and the server.
Thanks a lot for supporting free and open software!
To support the original Snapdrop and its creator go to his GitHub page.